Saturday, December 5, 2009

7. Phoenix "Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix"


I know it's been a while since my last best albums of 09 post, but I've been busy. Any-who, number seven on my list, hailing from France, is Phoenix. At first, I didn't get what all the fuss was about. But I listened to the album 4-5 times, and finally it just hit me. This album has it all. The first two tracks, "Lisztomania," and "1901" start the album off on an upbeat, catchy as hell note, letting the listener know their are in for a real treat. I found myself singing, possibly out loud, "Think less but see it grow/like a riot, like riot, oh" many times while talking to and from class. But, as well as these two electro-pop gems, songs like "Love Like a Sunset," are simply beautiful. The song has a slow, xylophone led, build-up, until eventually breaking into a guitar and synth filled climax, and ending with more guitars and vocals from Thomas Mars. The song actually reminds me of a real sunset, as you see the sun slowly setting, until it is gone, and only some fleeting rays remain in the sky, reflected off the clouds. Other highlights include "Rome" and "Fences," though the whole album is amazing. It was nominated for the Best Alternative Music Album for the Grammy's, so hopefully it wins. 

1 comment:

  1. Have you heard the Animal Collective remix of Love like a Sunset?

    ReplyDelete