Sunday, December 6, 2009

6. Grizzly Bear "Veckatimest"


This album seems like it does not belong in the 21st century. The vocal harmonies, instrumentals, and general feel of the album harken back to the 60's rather than the 09's. But that, in essence, is what makes this album so great. The first song I heard off the album was, of course, "Two Weeks." Immediately, I doubled checked the website. This is the Beach Boys I thought, this can't be from this year? But, thankfully it was. And "Two Weeks" was not the first time I felt myself confused. Wait, this says this song is Fine for Now by Grizzly Bear, but it sounds like the Mama's and the Papa's? Ah cool, the Guess Who...wait, this is still on Grizzly Bear? However, this confusion would soon transform into utter ecstasy. "While You Wait for Others," is beautiful in it's own right, and would have fit in well during the sixties. The "oooooooo's" during the chorus get me every-time. Quite simply this album may be one of the most beautiful examples of vocal harmony I have heard in a long time.


Yes, I know this next song is not GB, and may in fact be degrading their talent, but for those not normally interested in GB, at least this might get them to check them out, be it in an inadvertent way. The beat is from "2 Weeks," so if you like it, check out GB!


No comments:

Post a Comment