Tuesday, December 8, 2009

3. Animal Collective "Merriweather Post Pavilion"


So yea, I'm attempting to kick this top 10 albums list into high gear, as I leave on Friday and will not be at a computer until Sunday, so I want to have this done by Thursday. So yea, Animal Collective. This album is on everyone's year end lists, and upon listening to it, it's pretty obvious why. Animal Collective are just on another level from other artists right now. Combining elements of electro, shimmering synths, and ridiculous vocals and harmonies, AC delivers a gem of pure, unadulterated transient pop in MPP. Often, when listening to the album one becomes aware of how much is going on in the songs. The layering is incredible, but the magic of AC is that they don't overdue it. The combination of vocals, synths, and sound effects blend together in perfect harmony, delving the listener into an almost trance. AC has been putting out exceptional material for a while now, but MPP, in my opinion, is the best. Highlights include "Summertime Clothes," "Guys Eyes," and, of course, "My Girls." With it's shimmering synth build-up, hand-claps, and catchy, minimalist refrain, "My Girls" provides even casual indie fans a more accessible track for which to nimbly test the waters of such bands as AC. And even hardcore hipster indie kids cannot deny the sheer brilliance of "My Girls," though they will sure as hell try. Don't believe them. The awesomeness of "My Girls," and MPP as a whole is beyond debate.

No comments:

Post a Comment